Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Back to main page
  News:
Welcome to the ShadowFlare's Realm Forums. New registrations are by request only. To be considered for a new forum account, send an e-mail with the user name and display name you want and the reason you want to register.
  Home SFRealm HelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Opening Protected Maps (Read 25893 times)
LordTerrin
Peon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Opening Protected Maps
Jan 31st, 2003, 6:50am

I download recently this REALLY cool ums called Hydra Ranchers Revelation, and it's almost perfect.  THe only bad thing about the map is that goliaths upgrade like CRAZY, and basically work every other unit in the game.  I tried to use the toolkit to open it up, but it says it has been protected by another program and it cannot be opened.  There's got to be a way around this.... can ANYONE help me?  Even if i have to send the map out and get it fixed... this is a really good ums, and I hate to have it be rigged in only one respect.  Kinda defeats playing it, but now i'm hooked Smiley

Thanks guys,
BRian

IP Logged
Mini Moose 2707
Peon

Sup?

Here, not there!
Re: Opening Protected Maps
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2003, 1:55am

The point of protecting maps is so that they CAN'T be opened. I would hope the person who made the map has their name in it... you should contact them. A half-decent map maker would be smart enough to keep editable backups.

Know yer role and shut yer hole

The Moose is Loose
  IP Logged
LordTerrin
Peon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2003, 10:09am

How do I go about contacting them?  U kno of any way?  I really would like to have this fixed... it's such a good map otherwise.  One of the best I've played...

IP Logged
Mini Moose 2707
Peon

Sup?

Here, not there!
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2003, 11:55pm

How do you contact?
It usually says "Made by: Person" or has an e-mail or something. Do a "/whois Person" every once in a while to see if he is on, and if he is, "/w Person message" a message to him.

The Moose is Loose
  IP Logged
BroodKiller
Peon

Draw steel Boyz!

Sopot - Poland
Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2003, 9:10am

Otherwise you should look for a good un-protector somewhere around...I know that there are only a few of them, and that they do not use this hard-worked ability of them 'just for a pie'.

Clean...Simple...Devious...I like it

*Ah!I got infected by Sir Galahad!*
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
  IP Logged
Ojan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2003, 4:14pm

BroodKiller> Is there even a unprotector? I didn't know that any existed. Can you give me the URL to one? Thanks!

BTW, in the Camsys forums, Tuexo Templar (don't remember the spelling) talked about making one... I think he did a little research. Anyone know how it turned out?

Rock around the bus-stop

IP Logged
Armasadon
Peon

Strawberries
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:34pm

It likely never got off the ground.

There were only a couple widely known people that some actually knew could unprotect maps, and those two were GD and Otak. Obviously, though, there's no way you're gonna contact them now without talking to some old CamSys member, and even then you'd likely have to persuade them...besides that, there are four other points I would like to mention:
1.) [oldtimeraccent] Why, back i' mah day we didn' hav' pepol what could unpertect maps; we figered id out arselfes. [/oldtimeraccent] ...hopefully you get the point: if you want to learn how to do something, then get off your arse and experiment with it to get the desired effect!

2.) Maps are protected for a REASON; in the case of starcraft, it keeps people from stealing maps and editing them for their own pleasure. In the case of WCIII, however, it has been mentioned that a map protector can decrease the size of maps dramatically.

3.) Why not tell the author of the map about the problem instead of trying to fix it yourself? That way it won't be 'just another clone of the same freaking map'. Roll Eyes

4.) If it's an effect you want to learn how to do, why not just ask how to do it on the forums?

I admit, one of these points at least don't fit with LordTerrin's predicament (he's apparently gone by now, though...), but they are valid...

WWW 148916001 Strawberries40k   IP Logged
BroodKiller
Peon

Draw steel Boyz!

Sopot - Poland
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2003, 12:47pm

True as hell Armas, it really does.

Just one thing I might be having here to add - wasn't SI also capable of un-protecting,huh?

IP Logged
Mini Moose 2707
Peon

Sup?

Here, not there!
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2003, 2:50pm

Actually, I wouldn't say that. I know some people who have map un-protectors. But, they're not giving it to anyone, because they don't want it spreaded. My friend who is one of these people won't even give it to me, in case I might slip with it. So a map unprotector that works exists, but it's limited to a circle of 3 or 4 people who aren't sharing, and I'm even going to mention who they are.

The Moose is Loose
  IP Logged
BroodKiller
Peon

Draw steel Boyz!

Sopot - Poland
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2003, 4:25pm

Quote:
So a map unprotector that works exists, but it's limited to a circle of 3 or 4 people who aren't sharing, and I'm even going to mention who they are.

It exists....in their supah-intelligent heads!

IP Logged
Venim_Iceblade
Peon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2003, 8:36pm

i hate map stealers

IP Logged
Venim_Iceblade
Peon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2003, 8:36pm

also

dumbasses like this guy

IP Logged
CBWhiz
Peon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2004, 8:09am

Unprotecting Starcraft maps are trivial, if you dont mind having to re-paint the terrain (as is such with good protectors).

I made myself a raw chk editor that could copy around sections (such as UNIT, ISOM, etc) and could fix invalid values specified on locations (such as the famous protector which randomly assigned invalid string indexes - that had me stumped forever Smiley), and could edit strings.

Any editor capable of that is fully capable of unprotecting maps. I've done it myself a few times. Was quite rewarding seeing my efforts were fruitful Smiley

I ended up saving my own map, which I had accidently deleted the only unprotected copy of, and my friend's, who's suffered the same fate.

I'll admit to unprotecting one or two maps that weren't mine, but only to see just how they did stuff.

If you really want to unprotect maps, do research into what protectors like GUEdit do to them first. Then, reverse it.

And that has been advice from a great sage of CHK editing (if I dont mind saying Smiley). Havent looked at or played starcraft in well over a year, but I sure had a blast coding for it.

I see the community finally figured out the internals of replays - good job! It's that sort of adventurous spirit that helped me decipher the CHKs.

Hmmm, I was gonna attach it, but I guess SF disabled it. Oh well, do a google for "CHKViewer" - it might come up Smiley

IP Logged
Ojan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2004, 8:02pm

lol, and thus a one year old thread is brought back to life! Cheesy

I found your post kinda intresting...
Quote:
I made myself a raw chk editor that could copy around sections (such as UNIT, ISOM, etc) and could fix invalid values specified on locations (such as the famous protector which randomly assigned invalid string indexes - that had me stumped forever ), and could edit strings.

Cool. What was it programmed in? Where can i get it? Have / will you release it open source?

Quote:
If you really want to unprotect maps, do research into what protectors like GUEdit do to them first. Then, reverse it.

Problem is that there's not that many that know that, and the documents on the internet is limited. It's hard to research, but certanly not impossible.

Where can I contact you? You use any IM services? Your profile doens't show any :p

IP Logged
Darkness22k
Peon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2004, 12:51am

If you really want to learn how to unprotect maps, download GUEdit/ProEdit/SCMToolKit or whatever protector you want to use. Then create a map, place some units on it, change the briefings and create some triggers then save the map. Protect it but name it as "mapname protected". Extract the .chk's from both maps and compare them. You should be able to understand whats changed and what isn't.

[quote author=Ojan  link=1043995810/0#13 date=1073592142]Problem is that there's not that many that know that, and the documents on the internet is limited. It's hard to research, but certanly not impossible. [/quote]

You just need to look harder. Tongue

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2012, 1:12pm by Darkness22k »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print