ShadowFlare's Realm - Forum

Technical Problem... - https://sfsrealm.hopto.org/ Forums

Original message

PSX

Peasant

PSXN64SAT@aol.com
152.163.197.201 user profileedit/delete message

"Technical Problem..." , Mon 25 Jun 01:25 post reply

Okay, the problem deals with ShadowFlare's Bin Editor. It's really not a problem, but more of an annoyance. (Just read on... )
I have been trying to research on the StarCraft dialog *.bin files to write my own bin file editor. I had been using ShadowFlare's program to help speed things along. I would change one value in the bin editor and use Hex Workshop to do a compare and note the differences to see what data was where. This had been working for quite sometime. Until, one day everything went totally "freaky" on me. I had changed one simple value in ShadowFlare's bin editor and then did a compare in Hex Workshop... Instead of seeing one byte difference, it resulted in many changes: replacements, deletions, and insertions all over the place. This never occured before. I'm absolutely certain!

So I did a little test just see something. I changed the byte, in which I knew was the value for the left property of a bin dialog, in Hex W. I did a custom MPQ and it worked fine. Then I took ShadowFlare's editor and changed the left property to same value. It too worked in StarCraft in the same way. Now I felt this was odd because like I said BinEdit had suddenly been changing all sorts of data.

So I had my friend, Morpheus, check it out. When he did the compare, it just came up with one change. And that was what I had originally gotten in the first place before BinEdit was acting up. I had found he had an older version of BinEdit than I did. So I asked him to send it to me and see if that was the problem. (Which I really thought was the case) But...

It wasn't it. It did the same exact thing as my version had done. (BTW, his version is 0.90, mine is the latest 0.91)

I really do not understand this at all! It makes no sense... I have tried reinstalling both BinEdit and Hex Workshop and it still does this.

I'd really like someone else to try what Morpheus and I had done, just so we have another person to compare to here... (BTW, If you want to do it EXACTLY how I did it then open up gluMain.bin and change the left property of the dialog to 100 in decimal or 64 in hex)

Thanks in advance...

PSX

Replies:

All rights reserved © 2000-2001 ShadowFlare